This week I have a freshly prepared playlist for the Russian epic Anna Karenina. I apologize in advance for my sense of humor.
1. “C’mon Ride It (The Train)” – Quad City DJs
Anna finds the first train ride in the novel rather exhilarating, and there are many more train rides to come.
2. “What Would Happen” – Meredith Brooks
Anna knows that she should be good and live up to her reputation as a respectable woman, but she can’t help but wonder about Vronsky…
3. “This Kiss” – Carly Rae Jepsen
The whole affair is pretty fun at first, with even society winking at the scandalous couple.
4. “Ruby, Don’t Take Your Love to Town” – Conway Twitty
A song for the first time Alexei Alexandrovich tries to speak to Anna and salvage their relationship.
5. “Criminal” – Fiona Apple
Anna’s mounting guilt.
6. “Cold As Ice” – Foreigner
Alexei’s rebuffed attempt to salvage the marriage (as opposed to the relationship), and the anger and hurt that follow. Plus, you know, Russia. It’s cold.
7. “Bitter Sweet Symphony” – The Verve
Levin’s soul-searching ways.
8. “Happy Together” – The Turtles
Levin and Kitty.
9. “Better Dig Two” – The Band Perry
When Anna’s dependence, desperation, and jealousy grow beyond her capabilities to control.
10. “Long Black Train” – Josh Turner
The moral, as it were. If you think this is a story of a woman just trying to find happiness, you missed Tolstoy’s point.