Hello fellas and gals in internet land!
Now that you’ve caught your breath and are no longer gasping with shock over the return of fresh content to Ink, allow me to tell you what’s been goin’ on:
1. I took an internship with the Department of Defense that has me on a military base for four months providing daycare/after school youth services for service-members…in Key West, FL! They offered me a position over the summer in Bamberg, Germany so I will be trying to add a fourth language to my linguistic arsenal over the next few months.
2. Today I applied for the credential program at the university near my home in California, which I would begin in the fall as a first step toward becoming an official (rather than substitute) teacher. I have wanted to teach since I was nine years old but both of my parents spent a lot of time trying to convince me that it was beneath me/not prestigious/not a path to a swimming pool full of money. Mom wanted doctor or lawyer, dad pushed for engineer. Nearly two decades later the fact remains that, much like Albus Dumbledore found, my greatest pleasure lies in teaching. Also as in the case of Albus Dumbledore, pursuing a career in teaching does not mean an end to my other creative/intellectual pursuits. I am really excited, and already planning curriculum in my head.
3. My sister had demanded a cover for the novel she wrote, and I finally finished and delivered it just before I left for Key West. She is quite pleased with it and that pleases me. She is looking into self-publishing.
4. I got to go to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Islands of Adventure in Orlando (what a mouthful)! It was everything I could have dreamed and more, you guys! The butterbeer, the wands, the awesome rides! I spent way too much on souvenirs.
5. If you are a regular reader, you may remember that I was part of a group show in a gallery back in December. The gallery informed me that I had sold a piece, and then didn’t send my work back to me for almost two months because after the show closed I sold a second piece! Which means that total on my “about” page gets to go up by a hundred buckeroos (the gallery took a fifty percent commission).
I apologize for allowing the blog to languish during this very busy time of packing and flying and working 40+ hours on base every week, but I do have a Mix-Tape Monday and Random Review planned for this week. I am hoping to retcon the weeks that I missed in Mix-Tape Mondays as well, but we will see how this week goes. Thanks for sticking with me, and if you haven’t stuck with me I’d like to say: